​ Lego UCS Slave I: Before Boba Fett

A few years ago, I went digging through the attic in search of all my old Legos. My search, however, was primarily focused on finding one set in particular: Jango Fett’s Slave 1 It proved somewhat difficult.  My rather large collection was mostly unsorted, and it took a good while before I even found all the Lego boxes.  Naturally, the box that had the particular parts that I was searching for was the last to be found.box

After I quite thorough search of the attic I found them; dark blue, two by eight slopes, and a large sloped smoke grey canopy.  With a quick Google search, I pulled up the instructions for set #7153 and got to work.  A week or so later – after ordering a few missing parts – I had a complete set.  My renewed interest in Lego, however, had lead me to discover the world of MOC’s.  One MOC in particular had a great influence on the evolution of my Slave 1, and on my interest in custom Legos as a whole.

5689980621_cd22ac5812_b
The Odd Mancat Firespray. A custom Slave 1 inspired set created by Flickr user Maelven. It’s sleekness, and brick-defying curves were unlike anything Lego I had ever seen up to that point.  Using this model as my inspiration, I set out to modify my Jango Fett model using similar techniques.  I didn’t have the funding or the resources to attempt a full sized UCS, so I settled for an attempt at creating a smaller version more akin to the scale of the official Jango Fett ship I already had.


I was mostly success, though the project was never fully finished. I designed the ship as far as I could using LDD. The limitations of the software forced me to put off finishing it until I could buy the parts, which didn’t end up happening.

Lego recently released their UCS Boba Fett Slave 1 and rekindled with it my desire to build the ultimate Jango Fett Slave 1.  The UCS is an awesome set, however I couldn’t help but thinking it could use some improvements.  For one, I wanted a Jango Fett version, but mostly it lacked the perfect smoothness of the Odd Mancat Firespray. UCS Slave 1 BoxThe dish was jagged and rough, and the shoulders not nearly as sleek. The main fuselage, however, and the overall scale and shape were flawless.

So I pulled out LDD and started messing around with some ideas for the main dish using two by eight slopes.   A few hours in, and I realized I had something.  As I began to reach the limits of LDD, I started experimenting with L-Draw software, which I had messed with a little before, but been intimidated by.  Eventually,  I had a nearly completed model.  Using Bricklink, I collected the nearly 1900 pieces in about 13 separate orders.

The completed model is a personal favorite mine (as far as my customs creations are concerned).  I prefer the smoother dish to Lego’s more jagged design and also the more accurate “wheel well” for the shoulders.  The transition between the shoulders and cockpit are another notable improvement in the model’s sleekness.  I also used a lot more tiles on the fuselage for a smoother overall look.

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Share with:

FacebookTwitterGooglePinterest


Leave a Reply

Connect with: