I’ve just completed work on this 7500+ piece Lego replica of the Millennium Falcon. I’ve invested about 260 hours into this project. The ship is 32″ in length and 23″ wide. It’s MASSIVE, and also incredibly detailed.
The Ultimate of UCS Lego Falcons
Lego’s official set includes only 5200 pieces in comparison to this set’s over 7500 pieces. When both models are viewed side-by-side, Lego’s masterpiece starts to look very much like last year’s model.
I wish I could take full credit for the designs, but two other builders deserve much more credit for this than I do. Flickr user, Marshall Banana (click to see his awesome version of this set), who is responsible for the original 7500 piece monster set that went viral and inspired my creation, as well as another Flickr user, Mike, who originated the basic scale and shape including the designs for the cockpit, hallway to the cockpit, the whole area around the guns and basic shapes for the forward hood, the sidewall techniques and the side portions of the fuselage that house the boarding ramp and escape pods.
All that said, I did make numerous modifications and improvements in designing my model. In fact you’ll be hard-pressed to find a section were I didn’t make refinements.
Build Methods & Techniqes
This set is built using 100% genuine Lego bricks. However I did resort to using some custom parts and techniques for the internal structures. I wanted to avoid quirky connections as well as to keep things consistent throughout the set so I chose to expand upon a technique I used in my custom UCS Jango Fett model using 3mm rigid hose.
Lego’s official 3mm rigid hose is great for making complex connections, but for this set I would have needed it in massive continuous lengths which Lego doesn’t make. In looking for an alternative, I discovered that 1/8 brass rod, as is used for regular model making, happens to be exactly the right size to serve as a 3mm rigid hose replacement. Lego’s 3mm hose – it turns out – is actually 3.2mm.
The brass tubes opened up a lot of creative options for the internal structures and I’ve even gone so far as to design a few custom soldered brass pieces for this set. I wanted to keep the set as Lego as possible so I did keep these techniques to a minimum. However, they solved huge structural problems where I did use them and allowed me to avoid having to use strange, mickey-moused connections.
I also used safety wire to attach some of the panel pieces. Though I considered using Lego rubber bands, I chose wire because it will last considerably longer and provides more stability.
Fully Lit with Custom LEDs
Custom LED lights are featured throughout the set. The cockpit is lit with 2 LEDs. There is a “headlight” LED in the front of each fork, an LED behind the turret window, and full LED strips to illuminate the engines.
If you’d like to see more details of the build process, check out my Instagram feed. I’ve posted pictures from throughout the build process.